No results found, please try again. Reset selections.
The Bachelor of Arts in Decision Analytics degree from the School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) is an interdisciplinary degree dedicated to the collection, analysis and communication of Big Data, a term used to reflect the challenging complexities and dynamic nature of large data sets today. Decision analysts have a keen sense of data and are able to apply critical reasoning to both qualitative and quantitative data in context. They are able to ask the right questions and formulate problems to facilitate analysis. As such, they are able to understand the organization from a systems perspective. They are comfortable learning new technologies in this dynamic field, particularly database, statistical and visualization software. They also excel in working collaboratively, dealing with ambiguity, creative problem solving, and communication skills.
Designed for working adults, the BA in Decision Analytics has a strong industry orientation that is specifically geared to provide students with the knowledge and skills they can apply in jobs they hold today and to enable them to advance in their careers.
|Program Requirements||Quarter Hours|
|College Core Requirements||78|
|Major and Concentration Requirements||68|
|Total hours required||192|
Students will be able to:
- Select and apply data analysis strategies to clarify situations.
- Identify patterns and relationships in data.
- Evaluate decisions based on logical analysis of data.
- Investigate problems using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Apply ethical principles in context.
- Apply various methods of communication in multiple settings.
- Analyze and apply different liberal arts perspectives.
College Core Requirements
College Core Requirements (78 credit hours, 20 credit hours in residence)
Lifelong Learning (32 credit hours, 16 credit hours in residence)
|LL 201||REFLECTIVE LEARNING 1||2|
|LL 305||ACTIVE CITIZENS: MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN THE COMMUNITY, WORKPLACE WORLD||4|
|LL 205||QUANTITATIVE REASONING||4|
|LL 261||ESSAY WRITING||4|
|LL 270||CRITICAL THINKING||4|
|LL 290||RESEARCH WRITING 1||4|
|LL 301||RESEARCH METHODS 1||6|
|LL 302||EXTERNSHIP 1||4|
16 credit hours in residence.
Liberal Learning (46 credit hours, 4 credit hours in residence)
- Liberal Arts in Action Requirement: CCA 281, CCH 281, CCS 281 or courses with LA1 designation, 6 credits
- CORE CURRICULUM ARTS & IDEAS, courses with the CCA, AL, PI, or RD requirement designations, or any Arts & Ideas competencies, 12 credits
- CORE CURRICULUM HUMAN COMMUNITY, courses with the CCH, SCBI, or UP requirement designations, or any Human Community competencies, 12 credits
- CORE CURRICULUM SCIENTIFIC WORLD, courses with the CCSW, SI, SILB, or SISK requirement designations, or any Scientific World competencies, 12 credits
- IN 3071
4 credit hours in residence.
Major Requirements (68 credit hours, 40 credit hours in residence)
40 credit hours must be completed in residence in the major, 8 credit hours of which in the courses specified.
Professional Studies Core (20 credits, 8 credits in residence)
|FA 199||CAREER ASSESSMENT AND PLANNING 1||2|
|DCM 330||PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION IN THE WORKPLACE||4|
|ETHICS OR SOCIAL JUSTICE, courses with the PSES requirement designation. Choose one of the following:||2|
|ETHICS IN THE PROFESSIONS|
|SOCIAL JUSTICE IN THE PROFESSIONS|
|CREATIVITY OR INNOVATION, courses with the PSCI requirement designation. Choose one of the following:||2|
|CREATIVITY AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP|
|CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE THINKING|
|GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES, courses with the PSGP requirement designation. Choose one of the following:||4|
|BUSINESS, TECHNOLOGY AND OUR GLOBAL FUTURE|
|GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES OF WORK & FAMILY|
|GLOBALIZATION AND PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE|
|DCM 321||CAPSTONE PLANNING 1||2|
|DCM 322||CAPSTONE PROJECT/PORTFOLIO REVIEW 1||4|
Must be completed in residence.
Decision Analytics Courses (24 credit hours)
|DA 233||APPLIED INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS||4|
|IT 223||DATA ANALYSIS||4|
|IT 240||INTRODUCTION TO DATABASES||4|
|DA 200||DATA ANALYTICS||4|
|DSC 323||DATA ANALYSIS AND REGRESSION (FORMERLY CSC 324)||4|
Concentration Requirements (24 credit hours)
Students must also complete the requirements from either the General or Computing concentrations.
Concentrations, tracks and specializations provide focus to the major. In addition to any college core requirements, liberal studies requirements and major requirements, students are required to choose one of the following: