No results found, please try again. Reset selections.
To be eligible for the Reading Specialist endorsement only program, students must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and a valid Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL). Please note that the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) may change the State licensure and endorsement requirements at any time and without prior notice.
To apply, please submit the following materials to the Office of Graduate Admission:
- A completed graduate application
- Online application fee
- Copy of a valid Illinois teacher license
- A bachelor’s degree conferred by an accredited, recognized institution
- A previous grade point average of 2.75 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from persons familiar with your academic work
- One official transcript from each college or university attended
- Resume or curriculum vitae showing evidence of adequate background for the program
- The admission process also may include an interview with program faculty
Note: The Reading Specialist Endorsement requires a previously completed Master's degree.
Reading Specialist Core Courses: 20 Quarter Hours Required, Grade of C or Better Required
|SER 430||INTRODUCTION TO READING ASSESSMENT||4|
|SER 405||TEACHING LITERACY TO EXCEPTIONAL LEARNERS||4|
|SER 432||DEVELOPING LITERACY: ASSESSMENT AND INSTRUCTION||4|
|SER 433||ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSTIC TEACHING OF READING||4|
|SER 438||LITERATURE-BASED AND CONTENT AREA LITERACY INSTRUCTION||4|
Leadership Courses: 8 Quarter Hours Required, Grade of C or Better Required
|SER 435||LITERACY PROGRAMS: CURRICULUM AND COLLABORATION||4|
|SER 437||LEADERSHIP AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN LITERACY||4|
The practicum courses provide an opportunity to apply knowledge from course work to teaching struggling learners and those with disabilities. In these courses, students provide diagnostic and remedial services to children and adolescents from the Chicago area under the supervision of program faculty. These courses are offered in an on-campus facility.
Practicum Courses: 12 Quarter Hours Required, Grade of C or Better
|SER 542||PRACTICUM IN LITERACY ASSESSMENT||4|
|SER 543||PRACTICUM IN LITERACY INSTRUCTION AND ASSESSMENT||4|
|SER 544||PRACTICUM IN LITERACY INSTRUCTION, ASSESSMENT, AND COLLABORATION||4|
All individuals licensed by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) are required to complete licensure tests specific to their teaching license.
Reading Specialist students must complete the following tests:
- Reading Specialist Content Area Test (test #221) – assesses knowledge of language, reading, and literacy.