No results found, please try again. Reset selections.
Transfer Credit, General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) of the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI)
DePaul University participates in the General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) of the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) only. DePaul does not participate in Phase Two, the Major Phase.
Completion of the GECC/IAI at any participating college or university in Illinois ensures transferring students that most of the general education requirements at DePaul have been satisfied. Hence the GECC /IAI will be accepted as a package. Students who have completed the GECC/IAI should consult with their academic advisor in their college prior to registering for classes. Students who are in DePaul University’s Honors Program should consult with the program director as to their program requirements. Students who are in DePaul University’s School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) should consult with their academic advisors as to their program requirements. The additional requirements outlined in this policy apply only to those students in degree programs that participate in DePaul University’s Liberal Studies Program.
Students who have completed the GECC/IAI must also meet the following mission-specific requirements in DePaul’s Liberal Studies Program:
- Two Religious Dimensions courses (RD)
- Two Philosophical Inquiry courses (PI)
- Experiential Learning
- Senior Capstone
- In an effort to enable students to make the most complete use of their transfer credit, some portion of the two RD and PI courses may be waived under certain circumstances, as long as all students complete at least one PI and at least one RD either through transfer credit or DePaul courses. The following guidelines will direct students and their academic advisors in applying GECC credit and meeting the additional mission-specific requirements:
- Students who have accumulated sufficient excess liberal studies credits, may apply the credit toward the waiver of up to one PI and up to one RD requirement; see the Liberal Studies Guidelines section (#7 under Transfer Students).
- Students who have used the equivalent of PI and/or RD courses to fulfill GECC/IAI requirements may substitute learning domain course credit (DePaul or Transfer) for a corresponding number of PI/RD mission-specific requirements.
- Students who have completed and transferred in the equivalent of a PI or RD course external to the GECC/IAI requirements may use that course to fulfill the appropriate mission-specific requirement.
- Students may choose to complete LSP 200 SEMINAR ON RACE, POWER, AND RESISTANCE in place of either a PI or RD requirement.
The following table summarizes these policies put into practice:
Mission Specific Courses—4 Courses Required (2 PI and 2 RD)
Mission Specific Courses Course Policy Course 1 Course must be designated as PI (if course is DePaul PI or Transfer PI from outside GECC) or LSP Elective (if PI course is included in the GECC). Course 2 Course must be designated as RD (if course is DePaul RD or Transfer RD from outside GECC) or LSP Elective (if RD course is included in the GECC). Course 3 Course may be WAIVED with sufficient excess LSP credit. If there is not sufficient excess LSP credit, then the course must be designated as one of the following: PI or RD (DePaul or Transfer), LSP 200, or LSP Elective (if second PI or second RD course is included in the GECC). Course 4 Course may be WAIVED with sufficient excess LSP credit. If there is not sufficient excess LSP credit, then the course must be designated as one of the following: PI or RD (DePaul or Transfer), LSP 200, or LSP Elective (if second PI or second RD course is included in the GECC).
- If a course included in the GECC package also fulfills a specific course requirement in the student’s primary major, that single course may be used to fulfill both requirements. Elective credit will be adjusted accordingly to ensure that a student earns 192 credits for degree completion.
- Students transferring from an IAI participating institution with two or fewer IAI requirements remaining may elect to complete the GECC/IAI package with DePaul courses or additional transfer credit that meet the subject area and mission-specific requirements.
- Students pursuing the GECC/IAI option must earn a grade of “C” or higher in both WRD 103 COMPOSITION AND RHETORIC I, and WRD 104 COMPOSITION AND RHETORIC II. Students must earn a grade of “C-“ or higher in the courses that will apply to the primary major, secondary major, or minor. Students who have test credit must have official score reports sent directly to the Transfer Articulation Center for review.
Students who have earned an Associate of Arts (AA) degree or Associate of Science (AS) degree from an IAI participating institution have satisfied the requirements for the GECC/IAI.
This agreement is in effect for students who entered an associate or baccalaureate degree-granting institution as first-time freshmen in the summer of 1998 and thereafter.
For more information on applying transfer credit to the Liberal Studies program see the Liberal Studies Program Guidelines section of the handbook.